If there’s one thing that reduces my time in the kitchen, it’s my beloved knife set. By investing in high-quality blades over the years, I’ve been able to improve my cooking process and become more efficient as a result.
My Top 3 Manual Knife Sharpeners
|Chef’sChoice 4643 ProntoPro Diamond Hone Manual Knife Sharpener Extremely Fast Sharpening...||799 Reviews||$36.84||Buy Now|
|Kitchen Knife Sharpener - 3-Stage Knife Accessory Sharpening Tool Helps Repair, Restore and Polish...||2,102 Reviews||$38.00 $17.99||Buy Now|
|Wüsthof - 2 Stage Hand-Held Sharpener (2922)||942 Reviews||$19.95||Buy Now|
However, I’ve learned that my blades are only as good as their regular care routine. Without proper maintenance, my knives begin to dull, and suddenly my cooking becomes noticeably slower.
I’ve found that one of the best ways to combat this is by purchasing a manual knife sharpener. By sharpening your knives regularly, you’ll prepare food more efficiently, be safer and save a lot of time and energy.
In this article, we’ll go over some of my favorite manual knife sharpeners out on the market today and briefly go over the proper way to utilize these handy devices. You’ll also find that some of these sharpeners can be used for woodworking knives and other small blades.
10 Best Manual Knife Sharpeners
Now, here are my 10 favorite picks for knife sharpeners with varying price points, styles, and added features.
This versatile sharpener includes 3 different sharpening modes for lighter blades, thicker metals, and serrated knives. The bevel angle cuts at precise 15 and 20-degree angles allowing for extra sharp cuts. I love the comfort grip rubberized handle on this piece, making this sharpener super easy to use.
Proton Pro is also compact and lightweight, so if you’re planning to cook at someone else’s house, taking this sharpener along is no trouble at all. Verified reviewers found this knife to be super effective, even on high-quality Wüsthof knives.
- 3 different sharpening modes for maximum flexibility
- Lightweight, compact design
- Precise cutting angles
- Great for beginners
- Rubberized handle for comfort
- Super efficient
- May not offer as much flexibility as a traditional sharpening stone
If you’re just learning about knife sharpening, this sharpener is a perfect place to start. This kit comes with cut-resistant gloves so you’ll stay extra save while sharpening your dull blade. With three different slots, this sharpener is designed to sharpen, shape, and polish your blades all in one set.
The ergonomic handle is easy to grip making this sharpener easy to use for beginners. Plus, the manufacturer offers a 30-day money-back guarantee should you be dissatisfied in any way. With an average of 4.5 out 5-star review score, this sharpener is certainly worth a try.
- 3-in-one sharpening system
- Ergonomic grip for easy use
- Included warranty
- Includes cut resistant gloves
- Strong ABS grade plastic
- Efficient manual sharpening
- Lightweight nature may make sharpening more difficult
Wüsthof is known for crafting top-notch products, and this sharpener is no exception. The 2-in-one system includes slots for both fine and coarse blades. For such a modest price point, the ceramic rods do a great job at refining knives to unlock their full potential.
I love the comfort grip on this sharpener, and its sleek, black appearance fits into a variety of style settings. I loved how easy this sharpener was to use. This sharpener is an excellent choice for beginners.
- Deliberate, simple design
- High quality ceramic rods
- Comfort grip for easy use
- Neutral black appearance
- Fine and coarse sections for flexible refinement
- Modest size may make sharpening longer blades take a bit longer
For a sharpener suited for all types of knives, check out this sharpener by Ehoyal. Its cross blade design is constructed with heavy-duty tungsten carbide to sharpen your knives more effectively than a traditional sharpening stone. The sharpener bracket sits flat on your counter and can be used to sharpen, polish, and shape dull knives.
I love the high-quality construction of this sharpener and find it extremely easy to use, as I simply wedge my knife between the two blades and pull according to my desired sharpness levels. Customer service is also quick to respond to any issues, making this a great buy for any household.
- Hefty tungsten carbide construction
- Easy to use sharpening bracket
- Can be used to sharpen and polish
- Great customer service
- May be difficult to store with plastic bracket
This electric knife sharpener is perfect for sharpening any and all knives in your knife block. The two-stage sharpening system refines your blades and polishes them leaving you with a finished feel every time. Notably, the sharpener uses sapphirite wheels to help sharpen your dull blades which are super-efficient and save you time while cooking.
With the automatic sharpener, you’ll never have to manually set the angle blade value, making this a great sharpener for novice knife users. I was surprised by the impressive power of this sharpener despite the modest price point. If you’re not ready to invest in a fully manual sharpener just yet, this is the next best thing.
- Automated sharpening makes this sharpener easy to use
- Two-stage sharpening
- High-grade sapphrite wheels
- Modest price point
- Offers less flexibility than a fully manual sharpener
This sharpener is a perfect gift for your favorite hunter or outdoor enthusiast. Smith’s sharpener adjusts according to the thickness of your knife, making it ideal for all-purpose or outdoor knives. The 3-in-one system includes slots for serrated blades and fine or coarse refinement. The comfort handle makes this sharpener super easy to use and the non-slip rubber feet ensure stable knife refinement in a variety of environments.
The sharpener handles blade angles from 14-24 degrees for maximum flexibility. Some users even tested this sharpener out on their kitchen knives with great success.
- Adjustable sharpening width
- 3-in-one system
- 14-24 degree blade angle refinement
- Non-slip rubber feet
- Made for outdoor knives
- May be best suited for shorter knives
For truly individualized sharpening on a knife to knife basis, check out this manual sharpener by AccuSharp. This sharpener glides across the top of your blade to sharpen your dull knives with the tungsten carbide chamber. There’s a safety guard for your hand so you’re sure to stay safe while using this sharpener.
Its compact size makes it perfect for outdoor knives. Best of all, the sharpener is dishwasher safe for easy cleanup though handwashing is recommended.
- Flexible sharpening
- Tungsten carbide chamber
- Safety guard suitable for beginners
- Dishwasher safe
- Compact size
- Lightweight construction
- Best suited for smaller knives
I personally love this sharpener as its compact size does not take up unnecessary space on my counter. It comes in your choice of black, red, or bright green to match your personal sense of style. The dual-chamber sharpener is ideal for refining coarse and fine blades. The non-slip grip of this sharpener helps it stay stable while in use, allowing you to sharpen your blades without any extra hassle.
Notably, the sharpener is equipped with both carbide and ceramic rods for maximum sharpening flexibility. Don’t let the price fool you— this sharpener is just as capable as any other well-made knife sharpener.
- Modest price point
- Choice of 3 colors
- Dual-chamber sharpening
- Non-slip grips
- Carbide and ceramic rods for powerful sharpening
- You cannot adjust the sharpening angle with this sharpener for more refined tasks
This compact knife sharpener is super easy to store and proves to be a powerful tool in the kitchen. Its hands-free patented design makes this tiny device very convenient to use while cooking, and it comes in your choice of bright red or black. The steel blades sharpen small blades, chefs knives, and even serrated blades. At a 20-degree sharpening angle, you’ll be amazed at how effective this sharpener really is.
Should you have any problems at all with this device, you’ll receive a full refund, no questions asked. It’s certainly worth a try in that rite alone.
- Compact size for easy storage
- Choice of two colors
- Sharp steel sharpening blades
- Money-back guarantee
- Non-slip grip for stable sharpening
- Not suited for longer blades
This 2-step knife sharpener is equipped with everything you need to revive your old blades. With 2 tungsten-carbide blades and 2 ceramic rods, you’re able to sharpen, shape, and polish a variety of knives with no trouble at all. This sharpener is ideal for small outdoor knives or pocket knives and is compact enough to fit into a small backpack.
I loved the simple construction of this sharpener and found it extremely straight forward to use properly. This sharpener is essential for any serious outdoorsman.
- Ultra-lightweight design
- 2 types of blades for easy sharpening
- Compact sharpener
- Revives small blades with ease
- The compact size makes this blade limited to sharpening smaller blades
Why Do You Need to Sharpen Your Knives?
Before picking out the perfect knife sharpener for your home, it’s important to understand the importance of sharpening in the first place. Here are a few reasons why you need to sharpen your knives.
1. Maintaining Your Equipment
The most obvious answer is maintaining your knives level of sharpness. Contrary to popular belief, even the most durable, sharp knives require regular sharpening to function properly. Sharpening your knives will allow your set to last for years to come, and will make your cooking process that much more efficient.
A sharp blade is an efficient one. By sharpening your knives preemptively, you’re cutting down on future cooking time leaving you more time to do what you love. Moreover, in cases of cooking, sharper blades lead to more even cuts which make for more balanced dishes.
You may think a duller blade is safer since it doesn’t cut as efficiently, but that is actually incorrect. In fact, you are far more likely to cut yourself using a dull blade since you have to use a lot more power to achieve a simple cut. Sharpen your blades regularly to protect yourself from cuts.
Sharpening Your Knives: Best Practices
Here are some general tips to get you started with your new knife sharpener.
- Safety Equipment: If you’re new to knife sharpening, you will definitely want to make sure you’re investing in proper safety equipment to use in conjunction with your sharpener. Get a high-quality pair of cut-resistant gloves to protect yourself while sharpening your knives, just to be safe.
- Sharpening Properly: Every sharpener is different, so be sure to sharpen according to your manufacturer’s specific instructions. Each manual includes safety tips and best practices for your particular knife sharpener, so make sure you make reading these instructions a priority for safety and ease of use.
- Frequency: While some people sharpen according to a semi-regular schedule, every knife is different. In general, you should sharpen your knives whenever you start to notice a downgrade in performance or obvious dulling. The sooner you sharpen and refine your dull blade, the better.
- Pick out a Sharpener based on Your Needs: Sharpeners come in a variety of shapes and sizes for a reason. Make sure you’re picking out a sharpener catered specifically for your needs in order to get the most out of your purchase. For example, a hunter is going to want to pick out a completely different sharpener than a master chef. Know that the proper knife sharpener for you is out there, and don’t settle for anything less.
Sharpening Your Knives Has Never Been So Easy
As I’ve learned, even the sharpest, best blades need to be sharpened every once and a while. A mark of a good cook is the use of high-quality blades, but the mark of a great one is the use of a high-quality sharpener.
You’re bound to see noticeable results even after the first use of your manual sharpener. With a little time and patience, you’ll have your dullest blades working like new again.
Hopefully, this guide gave you a little bit more insight as to how to use your sharpener and care for it properly. With any of these 10 great options, you’re bound to have restored knives in no time at all.
Last update on 2020-01-25 at 02:00 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.