As summer approaches, a lot of home chefs will be getting ready to switch up their arsenal in the kitchen. For many, this means making sure that they’ve got all the right kitchenware to help them create the best possible results. A good-quality chef knife is one of the most important tools for a cook.
In this article, I’ll tell you all you need to know about finding the best chef knife under $100.
My Top 3 Chef Knives Under $100
|J.A. Henckels International Classic Chef Knife, 8 Inch, Kitchen Knife, Black||3,828 Reviews||$109.00 $62.99||Buy Now|
|MOSFiATA 8" Super Sharp Professional Chef's Knife with Finger Guard and Knife Sharpener, German High...||3,426 Reviews||$39.99||Buy Now|
|Chef Knife Professional 8-Inch Kitchen Knife German X50CrMoV15 Stainless Steel Meat Vegetables Knife...||884 Reviews||$39.99 $29.99||Buy Now|
Best Chef Knife Under $100
When starting your chef knife journey, it can be difficult to know where to start. But never fear, the following guide will set you on the right track to finding your new kitchen hero:
This Spanish-made knife is created from high-quality German stainless steel. J.A Henckels' 8-inch Chef blade itself is made stronger through forging. It also features a 4.72-inch handle ergonomic handle that gives the right balance and comfort for any slicing activity.
- Its super-sharp blade keeps its edge even after multiple uses.
- Has a perfect balance between the handle and the blade.
- An incredibly great knife for a budget-friendly price.
- The blade tends to stick to mushy items like potatoes.
- The back of the knife is razor-sharp and can be a little uncomfortable when using a pinch grip.
Perfect for everyday use, the MOSFIATA 8-inch Chef Knife is rust and corrosion resistant and hand-polished by craftsmen. With a German stainless steel blade and solid Micarta handle, this knife makes it easy to work on meat, vegetables, fruit, and bread and is sturdy enough for restaurant use.
The knife’s handle is designed specifically for a comfortable grip which minimizes wrist tension. The pack includes the MOSFIATA chef knife, sharpener, and high-quality gift box.
- The forged precision blade offers superior and reliable performance.
- Its functional and durable handle is made for comfortable cutting.
- The stainless steel blade is durable and rust and corrosion-proof for long-lasting performance.
- The sharpness of the blade tends to dull quite quickly.
With great balance and weight, this multifunctional knife features a super sharp blade, an ergonomic pakka handle for comfort, and a double edge blade with a full tang design. With a 15-degree edge angle on each side, this ambidextrous and attractively designed knife is a great addition to any kitchen.
- The elegant design of this knife makes it a welcome addition to any kitchen.
- Three degrees sharper than its competitor, Wusthof.
- The blade has a 25-degree cutting angle for great performance.
- The blade is nitrogen treated for long-lasting performance.
- This knife is incredibly durable and will last for years.
- Has a straight handle which is slightly less comfortable than curved versions.
- The wide blade means that maneuverability is limited.
- The small gap between handle and blade makes chopping awkward for those with smaller hands.
This six-inch knife from TUO is built for practicality and function. With a highly polished ergonomic pakkawood handle and German steel blade, this knife is a great all-around choice for any kitchen needs. Its small size and light weight make it ideal for the whole family’s ease of use. Durability, flexibility, and sharpness are the name of the game with this versatile knife.
- Simple and minimalist design.
- Suitable for a range of cutting and chopping requirements.
- The knife is rust, heat, and moisture resistant.
- The ergonomic handle makes the knife really easy to use.
- Doesn’t come with a protective sheath.
- Requires special care and storage, including washing.
Created for performance and comfort, the Mercer Culinary 8-inch knife has textured finger points to improve grip and safety and a protective finger guard. Made from outstanding quality Japanese steel, this knife is easy to maintain and sharpen and offers restaurant-quality performance.
- Made from top-quality Japanese steel for high performance and easy maintenance.
- Its ergonomic handle makes for comfortable and safe handling, even over long periods of time.
- Comes with a handy and sturdy nylon roll for easy and safe transportation.
- Quite light and therefore requires a little more force than a heavier knife would.
- Not dishwasher-friendly and must be cleaned and maintained by hand.
This professional standard knife with a high carbon German steel blade makes cutting through meat and root vegetables a breeze. Multifunctional, the knife features a V-shaped blade to help prevent fatigue and an ergonomic handle. For perfect gifting, the knife comes with an attractive gift box.
- Is comfortable and suitable for ambidextrous use.
- Its high quality blade retains sharpness and edge extremely well.
- Its design is aesthetically pleasing.
- Extremely comfortable to hold and use.
- Quite light and thin which could not be a perfect fit when chopping tough items.
This NSF certified knife with a stain-resistant Japanese steel blade features an ergonomic polypropylene handle with textured finger points and a hollow ground edge for easy sharpening and maintenance. Created for performance and safety, this chef knife is a must-have for the at-home cook.
- Has a super sharp blade that doesn’t dull easily.
- Really easy to clean.
- Its grippy handle adds to the knife’s safety features.
- Professional enough for commercial use.
- Its handle is overly large which can make it a little unwieldy for smaller hands.
- Its white handle tends to discolor quite easily.
How do I choose a Chef Knife?
When choosing a chef knife, there are a few things to look out for. All chef knives are not created equal, so you should pay attention to the following when shopping for your knife:
Finding your fit
Chef knives come in a variety of sizes and weights, and it’s really important to find the one which fits comfortably to the point that it becomes an extension of your hand. Take a close look at the shape and style of the handle and the grip of the knife. This will be important in order to provide the best experience.
The balance of a chef knife is really important. If it isn’t right, you’ll end up working harder than you need to while chopping. Hold the knife by the handle to check whether it feels awkwardly weighted toward either the back of the handle or the blade. It’s also time to check the side-to-side balance – when you bring the knife down, it should feel steady and should not veer toward either side. The balance of a knife is just as important as the fit. It’s all about comfort and usability.
When checking out chef knives, the general rule of thumb is to opt for an eight-inch model. Although a ten-inch may allow you to chop a larger volume, this is offset by the fact that larger knives can be more unwieldy and less comfortable to handle.
How is a Chef Knife measured?
A chef knife is usually measured from the heel to the tip of the knife blade, so when we talk about an eight-inch knife, we’re talking about only the part of the knife running from tip to heel.
What size should a Chef Knife be?
The most common (and recommended) length for a chef knife is 8 inches. Although this is a good rule of thumb, it does, of course, depend on the size of your hand, and as we’ve mentioned above, how comfortable it feels in use. You’ll also want to factor in the size of your kitchen work area as you’ll want a knife that you can work comfortably with within your space.
How thick should a chef knife be?
While this, again, depends to a certain extent on personal comfort, an edge thickness of 0.45 mm is thought to be the sweet spot for usability. Most chefs say that a thickness of 3.5 mm for the spine will tend to compromise the performance of a chef knife – meaning that you’ll have your work cut out for you when chopping.
How much should you spend on a Chef’s Knife?
As with other kitchen equipment, chef’s knives can range in price from $20 dollars all the way up to prices in the hundreds. While the likes of Gordon Ramsay may insist on fancy pants, super-expensive knife, this isn’t really necessary for the home cook. It’s more than possible to get hold of a good quality chef knife for between $60 and $100, and the following is our buying guide to the best chef knife under $100.
For both the professional and the amateur chef, a good-quality chef knife is an investment and should be treated as such. Always be sure to read the guidelines on care and maintenance to make sure that your knife goes the distance no matter what you may be using it for.
Last update on 2021-04-29 at 06:53 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.